Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Chippewa Valley, WI

These two maps are of the same area within Wisconsin but of different dates and one includes an elevation effect. The technique I used to create this effect is different from other methods but I see no visual differences between my maps and others. ArcGIS has a tutorial for how to perform this merging of a hillshade raster and an image but I wasn't able to get it to work. If you want to try it you can do so here.

I started with a DEM of the Chippewa Valley and created a Hillshade DEM within ArcMap. Next I brought in a pansharpened image and changed the transparency to 25%. I used photoshop to greatly increase the contrast and after doing so the final image with the hillshade worked exactly how I wanted it to. Below I've included the map without the hillshaded raster to show the difference this method made in the map.

Map with hillshade. Image from 10/27/2013

Map without hillshade. Image from 9/25/2013
Programs used: Illustrator, Photoshop, ArcMap 10.2 and Erdas Imagine
Full resolution: 26" x 18"
Download Hillshade Map

No comments:

Post a Comment